Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Tooth Fairy's Comin' Tonight!

My gosh, Casey's wanted to lose a tooth since her first kindergarten classmate lost one. And she's waited...and waited...and waited.... Every other 2nd grader we know has lost at least one tooth, many of them have lost multiple teeth. And, poor thing, she's had a top tooth that's been in various stages of "looseness" for about a year. Back then, she'd ask if we could see it wiggle and we'd squint our eyes and look real close and assure her that we could.

Well, her dad's been helping her with the wiggling lately, even going so far as to try to tie a piece of dental floss around it for her to pull. She's been a bit nervous about having it come out over the last few days, since it got really loose. So, she wasn't letting Chris play with it too much. She's repeatedly trying to fool me into believing that it came out (she's such a bad liar). She'd be playing and then cover her mouth all of a sudden and say "Mom, it came out!!" Repeatedly. Uh-huh.

Last night, it was so loose that she could turn it backwards (which was very gross). I mean, literally hanging by a thread. She wouldn't let me pull it out. She spent 30 minutes in the mirror before bed "pulling" on it, or so she said. Personally, I think a big sneeze would have shot the thing across the room. I finally put an end to the charade and tucked her in bed, nervous that it might fall out when she was asleep and she'd swallow or choke on it.
Well, a soft little voice and gentle tap on my arm awoke me at 4:35 this morning. "Mom, it came out," was all she quietly said. "You better not be joking," is what I said at first (not being a morning person and all). Then she giggled and said, "I'm not!" So, I got up, turned on the light and she showed me her tooth and the hole in her mouth where it once was. Very exciting. I'm not sure how much sleep she got after she went back to bed.
Today, she was all toothless smiles! She told everyone! Multiple times! Emma was super excited for her and doubly impressed that she could fit a gummy vitamin in the spot where her tooth was and it wouldn't fall out. (Emma actually tried to convince me she lost a tooth from the back last night when she was sleeping too. When I asked her to produce it, she told me she couldn't because she swallowed it.)
Tonight, she had me take pictures of her tooth from every angle. She said she's going to miss it. She finally tucked it in her little Tooth Fairy pillow and tucked it under her pillow as she curled up to fall asleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment