Thursday, July 23, 2009

Jake the Snake

At Jacob's 15-month-old check-up, when checking his milestones, they asked if he knew 3 words besides "Mama" and "Dada". I just laughed because he didn't even say Mama and Dada. (Mind you, he could climb on to the kitchen table and over the back of the couch, but could not utter those few short words.) Well, yesterday, he finally spoke his first purposeful words! Technically, they weren't words, just purposeful sounds, I suppose. He discovered one of the rubber snakes I keep in the front garden to keep critters from eating my flower bulbs and thought it was the best toy. As with all animals he plays with, I asked him what a snake says. Of course, he didn't know, as we'd never played with a snake before. But, as soon as I told him, he couldn't stop making the sound. Now, when I ask him what a snake says, he gets a big smile on his face, sticks his tongue out a bit, and says "tsss, tsss". (Mama and Dada will come later, I'm sure!)

Author's note: Ok, Casey just asked him what a horse says and he responded "tsss, tsss" so I guess I won't send for that Mensa application just yet!

2 comments:

  1. Owen loved animal sounds at that age too - so cute. Mama and Dada will come later (and "why" and "no" and "what's that", etc. etc) as everyone told me, enjoy the quiet while you can!!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Kim and everyone else who reads the blog and wants to comment - for some reason you must hit "Post Comment" twice before it will work ...

    ReplyDelete