Last Tuesday, August 25th, was Casey's first day of 2nd grade. She approached the day with nervous anticipation. She had met her new teacher at Open House and saw the names of the kids in her class. I was a little disappointed that there were only 5 girls in her class- and 13 boys- and that none of the girls were from her 1st grade class (including her best friend, Isabel). Oh well, she took it in stride. Off to the bus she nervously went with her new shirt (which is much cuter in person than in the picture!), new backpack (filled with lots of supplies), new shoes, and new 2nd grade attitude!
She was very tired on her return home at 4:15 that day. Casey always needs a period of adjustment when starting something new. But, now, she's already back in the school routine. She was also very excited that a new little girl, Molly, entered her class on the first day. Molly is new to the area and sits next to Casey in class. I met Molly when I popped in to have lunch with Casey one day and the two have become fast friends. Should be a fun year!


Fastforward one week to today- Emma's first day of "3's" preschool. Mrs. Hawkins is her teacher so I know it's sure to be a good year. Casey had Mrs. Hawkins for two years in preschool and she couldn't be more wonderful. Emma enjoyed her preschool Open House last week and had a chance to play with the class doll house and train table and venture out to the "big kids" playground. There are only 3 boys and 3 girls in her class this year, so she's sure to have a good time and learn lots of fun stuff! She seemed a tad nervous today, asking if I was sure I couldn't come in with her, but, all in all, she did really well. No tears (her, not me)! Afterward, she told me she played playdough, painted (2 of her favorite things), played with the dollhouse, had a goldfish and water snack, peed in the potty, and learned about God. Not bad for a day's work (2.5 hour day, that is). When I asked her what she learned about God, she said, "that he loves us!"
Oh, and she learned the little prayer that Casey also learned in preschool. The kids always look so cute with their "prayer hands" up by their mouths, their eyes closed, deep in concentration:
Dear Jesus,
In all I do and all I say, please be with me all the day. Amen.
Yeah! So glad we have the "first" days behind us (until next year that is). Casey and Emma are such beautiful girls!
ReplyDelete